From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2009 18:27:54 +1000
Stan wrote

>Do you use napthenates in Australia, Trevor?

Yes we use copper naphthenate.  We use a 1% concentration for the soaking
method and 1.25% for the soak and wrap.

Several years ago, a chemist, from the Forestry Department who I had done
the original research with in the 1980's, and I proposed an experiment to
see if there was any elevated copper levels in hives treated with copper
naphthenate.  It was rejected on the premise that there had been a trial
carried out where honey from many hives was analysed before and after being
placed in various containers.  The honey from hives that had been treated
with copper naphthenate did not have elevated levels of copper in the honey.

This was in line with what we had thought was the case.  There had been work
done in the US where they did have elevated copper levels in the honey from
hives treated with copper naphthenate but the concentration of copper used
was far higher than we recommend and the hives in the US trial were not
painted inside.  We recommended painting inside.

Copper naphthenate by itself does not give any termite (white ant)
protection.  I can vouch for this by personal experience.

You can use zinc naphthenate but it requires twice the concentration as
copper naphthenate to give the same protection.

With pentachlorophenol, the trial in the US did find residues in the honey.

Apologies to the list for not posting in recent times but things have been
flat out.  The best honey season I have ever had, big demand for queens,
industry matters and I have not had time to post, only read.  Thought seeing
as how Stan asked me personally, I had better reply.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA