From:
Dick Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 00:06:29 -0400
>Has anyone else noticed that Dick Allen's post about the first dandelion
bloom in Alaska is now in the archives TEN TIMES!?!

Why yes.....I noticed that myself. One learns by repetition. In the past,
sometimes after a day or so, I’ve forgotten the precise wording of previous
posts.  This one seems to have been burned into my brain.

Did you notice on the 6th reply, the post was suddenly attributed to Bill
Truesdell?  That’s going to wreak havoc for future searches of the
archives. Some are going to think Bill has pulled up his roots in Maine and
moved on up to Alaska.

This happens on some of the unmoderated groups: A post is made by Tom. Dick
replies quoting the entire original message. Then Harry responds to Dick’s
response and quotes both Dick and Tom. Along comes Ralph. Ralph, enjoys
poking fun at others. He mockingly replies to Harry by clicking on ‘reply’
without deleting any of the previous post. So now Tom’s original post has
been sent back an forth over the internet four times and has grown larger
at each reply. Tom, also has a sense of humor and makes a kidding reply
back to Ralph by sending everything off again. Ralph, while he loves to
mock others, is quite thin-skinned. He flies into a rage at what Tom wrote,
but since the last person to post prior to Ralph was Harry, Ralph calls
Harry a jerk and sends everything back again. Even if the subject is
something as shallow as beekeeping, it can get quite complicated after only
a few posts. Pretty soon no one is able to keep track of who said what to
whom or what the original subject even was since it has probably gotten way
off topic anyway. What if the topic being discussed was something “deep”
like religion, or politics. Those who quietly lurk in the background then
come out to post their opinions. After awhile it becomes a hideous monster,
taking on a life of its own.

As there had not been a lot of discussion lately, I sent the post off as a
piece of trivia. I was surprised at the number of responses. Just think if
I’d posted something a bit controversial.

Regards,
Dick Allen