From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:06:34 -0500
> Bob
> you said that the smr has good resistance until you stop using the queens
> or outbreeding happens.

This is exactly what was told to us would happen. The SMR was sold as a
trait to be introduced into your bees not a race of bee. To enhance the
trait the bee lab used instrumental insemination and the queens were inbred.
Only selected for the SMR trait.

> that seems to point towards the fact that if more of the commercial beeks
> would switch that we would reach tolerance more quickly as the out
> breeding would happen more often with tolerant bees.  then you would be
> able to breed for increased production and gentleness after that fact

True but I will leave that to those breeding queens. I treat and control
disease and pests. Same with my orchard. I raise the apples my customers
(Jonathan etc.) want and control the pests and disease. Most the new disease
resistance varieties the customers have never heard of and the taste is off
*in my opinion* ( but not all of course.)

I have friends I talk to regular which keep me posted on the search for
varroa tolerant bees and even AFB tolerant bees .

A true breeding program needs records and instrumental insemination to make
real progress *in my opinion*. Few commercial beekeepers are set up to make
a serious effort (but of course some are).

As I said earlier I have spent a bunch of money experimenting. Commercial
beekeepers for the most part are not queen breeders. I do have the knowledge
to run such trials but time does not permit.

My beekeeping partner for years (was at the state meeting and met Michael
Palmer was supposed to raise our queens but the queen rearing building and
the nucs sit empty.

One day when BEE-L was not busy he visited a "senior singles looking for
other singles list" and now he has other interests. Thanks to his doctor if
you get my drift.

Now when the "singles looking to meet other senior singles list" is not busy
he visits BEE-L.

Somebody sent my name into one of those lists ( my former partner?) and I
get emails daily of single women searching my name which I delete! Some
even send pictures! if you are into wrinkles and over weight gals then the
list might be for you?

My partner has not returned yet from the state meeting. Hope his heart holds
up?

bob