From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 07:28:00 -0400
Hi

Somebody in the honey bee discussion group came up with a quote from
Einstein about the connection between bees and mankind. It appears
that the quote about bees from Einstein was a fabrication. But in
searching for it, I found some other Einstein quotes:

"When a blind beetle crawls over the surface of the globe, he doesn't
realize that the track he has covered is curved. I was lucky enough
to have spotted it."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the
conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my
talent for absorbing positive knowledge."

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."

This is a story I heard as a freshman at the University of Utah when
Dr. Henry Eyring was still teaching chemistry there. Many years
before he and Dr. Einstein were colleagues. As they walked together
they noted an unusual plant growing along a garden walk. Dr. Eyring
asked Dr. Einstein if he knew what the plant was. Einstein did not,
and together they consulted a gardener. The gardener indicated the
plant was green beans and forever afterwards Eyring said Einstein
didn't know beans.

--- guess he didn't know bees, either

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>