From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 09:41:05 -0400
Many good possibilities for bees hanging out have been mentioned, but one
ought not to neglect the possibility of inadequate ventilation.  This
summer I have bound propolis traps in wood for use as inner covers, and the
bees do not propolize them, save at the periphery.  My outer covers are
made of plastic drums which allow free air flow to these rather open inner
covers.  All this is in addition to the 2" high entrances created by deep
bottom boards with slatted racks, which reduced, but did not eliminate bees
hanging out last year.  Very few bees now hang out, usually just a
moustache over the entrance which seems to be a live-bee venturi to
facilitate the work of the fanners.  Also the bees seem very calm.  Bees
seem to hang out more if the hive is stuffy.

The desirability of so much ventilation for bees seems counterintuitive.
After all what could be stuffier than the natural home of bees, a tree
cavity with a little hole.  Perhaps someone more learned can explain this
conundrum.

Bill Morong

Bill Morong