From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 17:12:34 +0100
> P-O Gustafsson wrote

>>Some beekeepers here persists to use strains of ligustica bees that end up
>>in a mess each spring with wet and mouldy frames and lots of dead bees.
>>The bees recover and produce a good crop, and the beekeeper is happy.
>>Others can't stand the mess and choose bees that winter well. Wintering is
>>also taken under consideration when the selection for breeders is done.

David Eyre replied

>I agree with your observations. We have not imported package bees into
>Ontario for a number of years. There has been some queens brought in, but
>the information I have is that they are not very successful. Local bees are
>better, as they are bred for that particular climate.
>        I don't believe that ligustica are solely responsible for your wet
>and mouldy frames etc.We have some ligustica (Italian) in our bees and they
>winter well. I would suggest that wetness is caused by lack of top
>ventilation, and mould is a byproduct of damp.

Yes, I agree. There are also strains of ligustica that winter well. But in
general
I have the feeling that other races (m. carnica, m. mellifera) are better suited
for colder climates with longer time confined to the hive.

I find it strange that you have bees flying in winter when there is snow. It
only
happens here to hives that are in bad condition and need to fly out to deficate.
First flight doesn't come until most of the snow has melted and temp reach
10-12 degrees celsius. But I guess climatic differences are the reason.

Regards

P-O Gustafsson