From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:56:04 -0400
I received a number of back channel responses thanks,

some of the other insidious uses of this material not posted yet are:

poplar, cottonwood trees and also ash trees for emerarld ash borer a growing problem moving
west into the great lakes region

blueberries

citrus: oranges

i happened to reread the Diana Cox-Foster report Allen Dick posted on 4/11 and was struck by
how significant of a potential cause of CCD she felt Imidacloprid might be.

the fact that the east coast and florida seem to be ground zero for CCD makes one wonder with
the rotation of migratory keepers from FL citrus to blueberries in the NE. That would also imply a
spring dose and a late summer too. Yikes.

As an apple grower I can tell you that a product may be labeled for use on such and such a fruit
for a  wide list of pests. But that does not tell the whole story.

 Whats missing for me in the question of citrus and blueberries is an understanding of the pest
cycles and what growers prefer to use etc.  Imidacloprid may or may not be widely used on these
crops during times close to bloom, or the material could be used long after bloom periods.
Colonies left in these areas long after the bloom could have been exposed in that scenario to this
material while those who pulled out after bloom may be unexposed. Then the issue of clover or
flowers blooming under post bloom fruit trees getting sprayed. Lots of different scenarios and
maybe little to no chance at all of encountering this stuff.

The only way to find that out is to survery some growers or chem supply houses in those regions.

I wonder if anyone is documenting the spread and use of this material in the last 3-4 yrs other
then Bayer? might be public info too if state ag depts are tracking.