From:
"W. Allen Dick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:05:32 -0400
On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:29:02 -0400, Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Other beekeepers have attached the screen to the bottom of the hive,
> eliminated the bottom board, and reported good success (private
> communication).  Obviously, in this case an upper entrance has been
> provided for the bees.  In one case this was as simple as setting the
> top of two hive bodies used for the brood nest back about one inch
> (13mm).  This beekeeper leaves the setup this way (no bottom board,
> an eight mesh screen stapled to the bottom of the hive, and the top
> hive body set back from the bottom by an inch) all winter.

That was in 1999.  I'm wondering, with all the people trying screens, if
more results are now available.

I'm wondering:

*  8 mesh is recommended, but 6 mesh harware cloth is cheap and strong
   and widely available.  Is it satisfactory?  Or does the mesh need
   to be finer?

*  Is a bottom entrance necessary?  Some of us have auger holes in the
   brood boxes.  Would they suffice for entrances?

*  Does debris build up on the screens?  Is there wax or dead bees
   after winter?  Or do the bees seem able to make everything fall
   out the bottom?

*  Has anyone noticed any adverse effect on spring build-up?

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/