From:
William G Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 14:08:58 -0500
I read the discussion of plastic inner covers with interest.  I am
wondering how many beekeepers actually use inner covers?  I used
them when I first began to keep bees, but abandoned them shortly
thereafter.  I consider the hive top of choice to be a single sheet
of plywood, with or without cleats fore and aft.  I paint my tops,
but I know some beekeepers who just flip theirs every so often to
allow the sun to melt the accumulated wax and propolis on the
exposed side.

I have heard all the arguments about ventilation and insulation but
find that one half inch or thicker plywood provides adequate
insulation from the summer sun in North Carolina (summer highs in
the upper 90's) and I never see condensation on the covers in the
spring and winter.  The trick to this is the covers seldom form a
tight seal, between slight warping and propolis buildup, so good
ventilation is insured.  I move my bees twice a year and these
covers allow close stacking of hives and are not prone to blow off
unless brand new.  They should still be roped down, as should
telescoping covers.  Murphy's law dictates that covers only blow
off when the bee truck is being tailgated by a new Mercedes.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC
--
William G Lord