From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:32:09 -0500
Re:
Self administered epinephrine.

I am not allergic to bees. In fact, I often get stung 50 or more times
during the day when I am very busy. However, I am allergic to peanuts and
the reaction is very swift and frightening. I have had the experience of
sitting in the doctor's office being interrogated by a doctor's assistant
while my throat was swelling shut.

If you can get an "epipen" or two, I would certainly do it. I don't know of
anyone who has been harmed by them and I have administered epinephrine by
hypodermic in the field with no training when my 5 year old allergic
daughter was stung (they didn't have "epipens" then).

For milder reactions "benadryl" seems highly effective. I keep this with me
always.

PB