From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:13:56 -0500

> Nutrition and nutritional deficiencies are poorly understood....an
> "adequate" diet is a fairly vague concept.  Colony weight and number of
> bees have been used to quickly evaluate whether a colony is strong or not.
> But there are other metrics we could consider. Some of the effects of
> nutritional deficiencies are fairly subtle.   Shortened queen lifespan,
> poor foraging behaviors, "slow to build" colonies, spotty brood, and of
> course increased susceptibility to diseases and chemical stress (all the
> 'cides) can be observed if something is lacking in the diet.

Heather Matilla presented some of her research into the effect of
nutritional deficiencies at EAS.  The paper she published in April is here:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0121731#sec007

Some of the results:

 - Adult weights were lowest when larvae were reared in pollen-limited
colonies
 - Adult lifespan was shortest when larvae were reared in pollen-limited
colonies
- Foraging activity was reduced when reared in pollen-limited colonies
- Dance activity and precision were reduced when reared in pollen-limited
colonies

Adam
Barrie, Ontario