From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:43:39 -0500
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 03:49:03 GMT, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>the links i provided did discuss bacilli as being antagonistic towards chalkbrood (i think this is what the above quote is referring to, no? and we know that fumidil is produced by the stonebrood fungus).

You mean the Vita website? They call that research, but it's ad copy.
We need to read ad copy with a somewhat critical eye, do we not?

> The fact that the Bacillus sp. Isolated and used by us is susceptible to two of the most widely used antibiotic drugs (streptomycin and tetracycline) strengthens the contention that higher levels of chalkbrood infestation are connected to an altered microbial balance. Consequently, restoring this balance (even partially) should contribute to the reduction of A. apis infestation levels. In-vivo experiments in all countries indicate a significant decrease in A. apis infestation following treatment with the Bacillus sp., thus confirming the in-vitro findings and establishing that the biological control of chalkbrood (by the use of Bacillus sp.) was feasible.

Sure, it "strengthens their contention" that their product is
susceptible to TM; TM is a multispectrum antibiotic. But that doesn't
prove that chalkbrood increases due to TM. They go on to say things
like "restoring this balance should ..." and "in-vivo experiments
indicate ..." and "thus confirming".

None of these assertions are even slightly backed up. No data is
provided, so it is on their testimony that we are expected to believe
in a) some undefined natural balance, b) some undescribed experiments,
and c) some earth shaking conclusions, all on the assumption that --
they wouldn't just make this up to sell a product, would they?

Saying that "fumagillin comes from stonebrood" is a great
oversimplification and shows a degree of unfamiliarity with the whole
field of microbiology. Like saying resveratrol comes from red wine,
therefore lets pour a tall glass! Oh, I do it all right, but I am not
kidding myself into thinking wine is a great health food.

And yes, what Gilliam said puts a whole new spin on hygienic behavior
if it includes microbe farming, which it apparently does. This is very
interesting work, but to draw sweeping conclusions is not science. We
are at the beginning of understanding what it really means to *have
healthy colonies*, which everyone agrees we don't now generally have.

Finally, the concept of "natural balance". I used to *believe* in this
before I studied evolution and ecology. But I learned that Nature is
no petting zoo; it's the good, the bad and the ugly. Microorganisms
include the beneficial, the innocuous and the plagues.

By the way, good luck with your presentation. I would suggest that if
you don't get hard questions like these that you are preaching to a
compliant choir. But it is what you would get from hard-boiled
scientists. Don't expect them from a gullible public that simply wants
to be told what to buy and where to get it. SHOW ME, don't tell me.

--
Peter L Borst
Danby, NY  USA