From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:47:21 +0100
>Yes, we all use the same methodology.

I am not so sure.

You told me long ago that you multiply by 50.000 and I said we multiply by
10.000.

I haven`t been able to read both Caldwell and Fries papers, but after the
seminar by Gabriel Sarlo from Argentina, I understood that if the sample is
not homogenous in the Neubauer chamber you count only 5 Thomas reticules and
multiply by 50.000, but if the sample is homogeneous you count all of them
and multiply by 10.000.

I am waiting for the papers to confirm the above. Any one have them?.
Particularly Fries Thesis.

Cantwell, G.E. (1970). Standard methods for counting nosema spores. American
Bee
journal, 110:220-223.

Fries, I and Ekborn, G. (1984). Nosema apis, sampling techniques and honey
yields.
Journal of Apicultural Research. 23:102-105

Fries, I.(1988a). Contribution to the study of Nosema disease (Nosema apis
Z.) in honey
bee (Apis mellífera L.) Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences,
Uppsala,
Sweden. PhD Thesis.

Fries, I.(1988b). Infectivity and multiplication of Nosema apis Z. in the
ventriculus of the
honey bee (Apis mellífera L.). Apidologie, 19:319-328.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.