From:
Howard Kogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 22:04:14 -0400
I live in the Taconic Hill Country on the NY/MA line.
I finally was able to check my three hives this weekend and found two very
strong and ready for a super but one had about 2 cups of dead bees on the
bottom board and brood about the size of a softball on only 3 frames.
Plus very little open brood, no eggs and no queen that I could find-but I
am not very good at finding queens and it was windy and chilly so I did
not look that long. All three hives had plenty of honey.
In the past I would have assumed I have a poor queen and/or varroa
mites/tracheal mites.  Do you folks think that this is correct?  Does
requeening still seem like the way to go?
Any thoughts from more experienced hands would be appreciated.  Howard
Kogan/ Falling Tree Farm