From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:50:30 -0400
Bob said "I have been told by Bill R. that if you do not get a certain
amount of brood
kill the formic dose is not strong enough clear a hive of varroa which is
why I doubted the efficacy of the formic acid gel from the start.

Efficacy with formic acid is nowhere near the efficacy of chemical strips
(98%) research has shown as too many variables exist (temp , humidity &
dosage which is hard to figure out )."

I THINK the efficacy may be close to or actually at the 98% level, if used
'properly'.  See the web site www.mitwaway.com.  This formic acid product
has been extensively tested by Medhat Nasr (who helped develop it) and
others.  I understand that Nick Calderone is among those convinced that it
does the job.

They have applied for FDA registration, and then will follow will all the
states.  I understand that FDA registration for next spring is likely.

HOWEVER, and this goes directly to Bob's above-quoted statement, the dosage
DOES kill virtually all brood and there is a two-week hiatus before egg
laying commences.  In the fall, this effect on brood is of little
consequence.  The effects in the spring are another matter.

The Canadian beekeepers I know who use it in the spring are convinced that
the loss of brood is well worthwhile.  They use it in the very early spring,
when earnest brood rearing is just beginning and 100% requeen shortly
thereafter.  They tell me they figure they lose 2 frames of brood, and more
than make up for it by having pest-free hives with wall to wall brood from
mid-spring onward.  One such beekeeper runs 400-450 hives solely on comb
honey so he must be doing something right.

Even if formic is used only in the fall it will be a welcome alternative to
constantly using pesticides!  I, for one, am really looking forward to US
regristration.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb