From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:48:50 -0500
“We are hearing a lot of ASSUMPTIONS that spores would be present as they
are for N apis.  However, N apis causes bees to defecate on the combs.  N.
ceranae doesn't.”

I have a question.  Randy, is it your experience that bees would be
unlikely to deficate on their comb for any other reason than that they had
a N. apis infection?  What do you think the likelihood would be that some
defecation on comb would occur in a colony that was uninfected by N. apis?
If, as I suspect, the likelihood would approach that of a virtual
certainty, then wouldn’t that make this question of whether comb from a
colony infected by N. ceranae is contaminated with N. ceranae spores a
purely academic one?  Wouldn’t you think that regardless of whether anyone
had actually tested the comb it would be foolish not to assume that such
comb has N. ceranae spores on it?

I was also wondering if you asked those highly esteemed scientists why they
never thought to check for N. ceranae spores on comb that had been occupied
by bees that were infected with N. ceranae.  That question really jumped
out for me, and I hypothesized that it might have been because they had
just assumed it was.  What do you think?   And Peter Edwards, feel free to
add your wisdom here too.

Thanks,
Steve Noble