From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:23:35 -0400
As I arrived in a beeyard yesterday I got out of the truck and heard that
all-too-familiar roar of a large swarm up in the air.  I looked towards the
tree line and I could see what looked like 2 mega swarms setting together
about 60 feet up in an oak tree.  We have had an early spring and the bees
are booming so I expect to lose a few but I looked up in that tree and all
I could think about was all the sugar I poured to the hives and the work I
had done this spring, up in the tree, not to be had.  I worked the beeyard,
pulling bait brood combs out of deeps of foundation to make nucs, and
decided to take a farewell look at the swarm before I left.  They looked
restless, and sure enough, reponding to my telepathy I guess, they took
flight.  It was a windy day and it was cool to sit on the ground and watch
the swarm drift through the air and get blown up and down with wind
currents.  The swarm flew out over a pond 50 yards away, but responding to
my telepathy I am sure, finally settled in a small oak 6 feet off the
ground.  Never mind that the oak was covered in greenbriar, surrounded by
poison ivy, and had a snake in residence in the greenbriar, I hacked my way
in under the tree, placed a double deep, and got the swarm.  The power of
positive thinking, eh?
Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC