Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:14:35 -0600
I get enquiries about the Meijer boxes and where to get them whenever I
write about them.

They are the EPS boxes, similar to the BeeMax and Swienty boxes that are
made in Alberta on a mold that Meijers paid for so they would have a
supply of quality boxes.  (The BeeMax are simply too fragile and weak).

The Meijer boxes are not advertised or promoted -- or keep in stock at
the factory -- but can be ordered from the manufacturer for delivery
whenever they do a run.

They can be shipped to the US without duty AFAIK (North American made)

Details are at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/files/Beaver.htm

The advantages are:
+ ready to use (no assembly),
+ dimensionally accurate and stable,
+ lightweight,
+ moisture-proof,
+ do not require painting (although painting will extend life and
prevent surface chalking)
+ do not require wrapping for winter
+ can be repaired with glue and screws

Disadvantages are:
- Not as unbreakable as wood,
- Require more careful handling and prying
- Larger outer size (inside is the same)
- Normal floors and lids do not fit quite right and some types not at all
- Shipping is a bit more more costly than BeeMax since they are made in
one piece.

I have now switched entirely to these boxes, plus I continue to use the
BeeMax boxes I already had.
I am eliminating wooden boxes.