From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:56:20 EDT
I run a top bar hive. The last time I took a crop I avoided the  comb that
had been bred in as much as possible. The honey had set (UK ivy honey)  so I put
it in a bucket and bashed it so the cells were disrupted and placed  it in my
warming cabinet set at just over blood heat until it was melted.  This was
then poured through a strainer and was fit for bottling.  There  was a lot of
honey left in the wax so I put it into a strainer bag and  thence into my
Mother's (cleaned and sterilised!) spin drier, which got a lot  more out. I would
have used my fruit press but I had lent it to an apprentice  and forgotten which
one.

There was still some honey left in the wax so I chucked it into a batch of
home brew beer I was making, allowing the action of water and yeast to make
best  use of the remaining honey so that none went to waste (although the beer is
 going to waist!).

I find that honey that has not been through a conventional extractor has
much more flavour and can be sold for a better price.

Chris