From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:26:07 -0500
>Specifically, the problem has been deciding what constitutes personal
>attacks, and what is legitimate examination of issues…

Hi Allen,

Nice to see you back on the list!
I’ll also forward this to your inbox, because me email or perhaps computer
isn’t working right and the letter might get lost in the mail.  I think
your statement answers your own question.

Legitimate examination of the issues is just that, ‘examination of the
issues’.  Examination of the person, or assumptions made on the person, is
a personal attack  Take these few hypothetical quotes I conjured up just
for example:

“we can simply start e-mailing Mr. xxxxx”
“I think that we can change xxxxx’s mind.”
“xxxxx still doubts”
“xxxxx blames the victims”
“make it possible for a amateur like xxxxx”
“problem seems to be that xxxxx”
“So, xxxxx is a crackpot”

The above is an example, (be it totally fabricated) is what constitutes a
personal attack.   Another indication that “might suggest” a personal
attack is occurring, is the repetitive mention a persons name or
assumptions made on that person over and over and over and over,,,, again,
again and again in a single post.

A persons name is for addressing them only at the top of a letter, or
crediting a quote or an idea as belonging to that person.  Anytime you are
examining the person and not the issues, that is a personal attack.

...experience and evidence of a writer making claims, and where
>the line should be drawn, or if there even should be an attempt to
moderate.

Line should be drawn at examination the evidence and subject matter, and
not examining the person.
This is Bee-L not Human-L
But I will say, when personal attacks are made,
it will become Person-L.  LOL

Some, particularly
>the well credentialed expect and welcome any examination of their
background
>and experience, and some others are uncomfortable if anyone so much as
>glances their way.

IMO, The value of what a person has to say, should not always depend upon
credentials.  How many on the list have a collage degree in anything
related to honeybees?  I doubt there are more than a few.  How many here
have credentials in science or somewhere else, and assume these
credentials are transferable to honeybees?,,, probably 3,000 or so.
What criteria does one use to determine credentials?

When my State Apiarist came to inspect my bees.  He appeared to be
extremely interested in hearing about my beekeeping methodry, as well as
what mechanisms I thought were the reason for ‘some things occurring’ in
my beehives.  Now,  he may or may not have chosen to believe me, but he
was very generous towards sharing his views with me, as well as hearing
what I have to say and discussing bee topics with me. I don’t recall him
asking for credentials.

IMO, Bee-L is blessed to have a wide variety of members with different
backgrounds, this is an asset, and should not be limited by the exclusion
of those not having what is perceived to be ‘credentials‘.

Perhaps, a requirement for credentials could be left out altogether.  With
or without credentials, wouldn’t you expect the issue being discussed to
stand up to scrutiny?

Best Wishes,
Joe