From:
Jan Tempelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 11:15:49 +0200
Greg Hankins wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Are pine trees (southern white pine, loblolly, etc.) of any use to
> honeybees as a source of pollen -- or of nectar?
>
> I recall reading of a pine honey in a book whose author approached > honey
> from a European experience, but I think that was based on pine sap.

perhaps they write about the honey collected on pine trees
as a secrete of louse who tap the sap of the tree direkty (not from
nectarglands), and produce a sap what is sugarfull enough for bees to
collect. Nickname "louse urine" "louse piss'
It is a kind of "heavy" honey, dark, thasteful, contains windpollen.
I don't like it, but they say: "it is the best you can get"
Jan Tempelman / Ineke Drabbe     |     EMAIL:[log in to unmask]
Sterremos 16               3069 AS Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Tel/Fax (SOMETIMES) XX 31 (0)10-4569412
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jtemp/index2.html
with some pages in english on solitary bees.
NEW PAGES ON THE FIGHT ON THE VARROA MITES.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jtemp/dronemethod.html