From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2017 08:14:40 -0400
On 13-Jul-17, at 2:32 PM, Christina Wahl wrote:

> It is much easier to help the third world by not interfering with
> their tried-and-true methods of agriculture, by not exploiting their
> resources, and by trying to support their fledgling democracies
> (where any exist).  Education opportunities for the third world is
> the best place to send your charity dollars.

Hi Christina & All

In the late 1970's  I lived and worked in NW Nigeria.  Many western
organizations (Russia too at that time) donated large tractors and
other modern farm equipment to help improve agriculture production.
The plans displaced thousands of family farmers off their small plots
which could be better managed by one man on the donated equipment.
The following season the displaced farm families lived in slums, the
tractors broke down due to lack of parts and maintenance and the land
lay fallow.  The tried and true methods had worked for centuries.  A
former neighbour started a foundation in Ghana which loaned small
sums($50-$100) to local entrepreneurs in order to buy supplies such as
used treadle sewing machines to increase their production.  He told me
later that the loans were paid back faster than any other investment
he had made.  I heard later of a country in southern Africa who
refused a donation of  grain (I think) because they could not save
seed for next year's planting as had been the tradition.  The seed was
genetically modified and was covered by a no replanting agreement.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W