Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:44:35 -0600
> In the UK, where burning of the contents of affected hives and
> scorching of the woodwork is compulsory, the incidence of AFB has
> been reduced to <1%. ...Maybe you could try something similar in the
>  USA...

Show me your 10,000+ plus hive operations travelling thousands of miles
and I will begin to consider the UK as a beekeeping model for the rest
of the world.

Until then, for one thing, I don't live in the USA.  Ignoring that, I
can assure you that what you recommend has been indeed been tried -- in
Ohio.  Ohio had at that time, a _reported_ incidence of leas than 1% as
I recall, but I am sure our members from Ohio will have something to say
on that.

> as it makes a lot more economic sense than continually treating.

I can assure you that if those were the only two mutually exclusive
alternatives and if there were even a modicum of truth to that
statement, US beekeepers who are very penny conscious would have seized
on that approach.

However, speaking for Canada, the commercial beekeepers I know treat
only as indicated and sparingly, as we are a honey exporting nation, but
do know their business very well.  They burn or melt where indicated and
treat where indicated.

I wrote a more detailed explanation earlier today for anyone who cares
to consider the question more than superficially, and wants something
other than a black and white, one-size-fits-all answer.