From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:08:25 -0400
Kirk Jones writes:
>Our recipe:
>one part expeller process soy flour (you can use 2 parts soy to 1 part yeast)
>one part brewers yeast
>add as much natural *pollen as you can afford (we trap our own)
>mix it up with a commercial bread mixer while adding corn syrup
>mix it to a somewhat drippy consistancy, as it will set firmer overnight

I have been using what was called "Haydak's mix" in my very dated copy of
Hive and Honeybee, i.e. 3 parts soy flour, one part brewers yeast, one part
skim milk powder.  Has there been work since that indicates that less soy
flour is better? I note that Roy Nettlebank feels that way.  Is skim milk
powder still thought to be a good ingredient (as a dairy farmer I hope so!)?
And please if anyone can tell me whether non fat soy flour is as good
nutritionally as whole fat soy flour(for bees without a cholesterol problem
:)>  ), I would really like to know.  I posted that question about a month
ago and got no response.  I am feeding the powder outside today and the bees
are really going for it (even though it's only +5 degrees C and sunny).
                                         Thankyou        Stan