From:
Mark G Spagnolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:53:18 -0500
I read Nick's post concerning Varroa in New Zealand with both surprise and disappointment.

Surprise because I am familiar with the care taken by the New Zealanders to maintain their mite-free status.  I believed they had overcome suspicion and jelousy to really come together for the good of their industry.  The import of all bee products and equipment was tightly regulated.  I knew a beekeeper who had his favorite veil confiscated when he landed in New Zealand!  He was taken to the customs office and detained for several hours!

I am disappointed because now only Hawaii can be considered "mite-free".  If breeding is the answer to controlling mites, a mite-free environment is crucial.  In light of the New Zealand experience, it is only a matter of time before the mites invade Hawaii.  The controls are in Hawaii are not nearly as tight as those in New Zealand.

Has anyone considered the effect this discovery could have on the package and queen market?  Will Canada open its border to bee and queen imports?  Hawaii will never be able to supply the numbers of queens and package bees needed in Canada.  Will an open Canadian border affect the pollination and packaged and queen industry in California?  Will this effect the price of pollination in the almond orchards?

Amazing how the discovery of a few small mites in a small apiary in New Zealand could possibly effect the fortunes of many people many thousands of miles away.

Any thoughts from Canada, New Zealand, Hawaii or California?

Walter, are you willing to let bees with mites land in Honolulu on the way to Canada?

I spent seven years in Hawaii raising queens and have spent many hours discussing the forces that drive this market.  This discovery is bound to throw this delicate relationship into chaos!  I am waiting for the fallout!