From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:11:22 -0600
>> tried that approach {asking queen suppliers about Tracheal Mite
>> resistance] and, found that it is easier to accomplish at the keyboard
>> than in the real world.

> Maybe it was that you had no intention of actually buying any queens.
> Another problem may have been that you were not well-known to them.

Hmmm.  Why would you think that?  At the time I was buying queens and also
influencing quite a few purchases, and I have been on a first name basis
with these people for many years.  That's why I asked them.  Maybe you can
share the results of your queries in this regard that make you think
differently?  Maybe list some suppliers who have given you such assurances?

I'm still guessing that the answer probably lies right where I first
suggested.  Specifically, it appears to me -- from my limited sample --
that surprisingly few U.S. queen suppliers are actually actively monitoring
TM susceptibility in their product to the point where they can comfortably
and honestly say they are dead certain that they have it in all their
shipments, when asked directly.

(At this point, I'm hoping that there will be a flurry of email to the list
saying, "No, Allen, you are wrong, I asked my supplier -- even looked him in
the eye over the phone -- and did not have to hang up.  I have his (her)
assurance").

Also, maybe a few queen suppliers or breeders on the list can attest to
their own efforts in that regard.  I happen to know that some do read this
list -- sometimes at least -- and that they are of the sort most likely to
be monitoring for the trait.  (But they also are of the sort who hate to
blow their own horn).