From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:52:22 -0500
>I will attempt to answer Fr. Cassidy's question concerning the
>migration of Varroa jacobsoni to the western world BASED ON MEMORY, as I

        Your answer to Fr. James had one glaring omission, but I won't claim
the honey having enough of my own. Mites i.e. plural. Honey bee tracheal
mite you missed, I know you can't see it, and "out of sight, out of mind".
Htm is an insidious killer, just as virrulent as Varroa. HTM was first
discovered on the Isle of Wight approx. 1922 where it devastated the U.K.
Now into Europe and Florida in the 1980's? Spreading rapidly by migrating
and careless beekeepers, it is spreading North into Ontario and other Provinces.

        Ontario now has a breeding program to produce HTM resistant Queens,
by requeening with new stock you can forget that problem. Anyone wishing to
discuss the latter point please e-mail me direct.
   * David J. Eyre CEO        9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,     *
   * The Beeworks           Orillia, Ont, Canada, L3V 6H1*
   * [log in to unmask]     (705) 326 7171            *
   * http.//www.muskoka.net/~beeworks                          *