From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:32:57 +0100
Allen Dick wrote of the differences found in Natural Mite Mortality and use
of Apistan strips - and also said, "Plus one weird little bug with a long
proboscis", but KNOW he was not referring to me.

As a UK beekeeper where the majority of colonies are managed in single brood
boxes I enquire whether strips, either Apistan or Bayvarol, placed in the
upper box which surely at this time of year will contain generally stores is
the correct position. I appreciate they are contact acaricides and bees with
mites attached will enter the top boxes but would they not be more effective
in the lower boxes. Agreed more work to lift off boxes.

Incidentally Bayvarol strips are manufactured so that two strips can be
joined together, end-to-end, for use in multiple boxes. Have never tried
using them in this fashion, my bees are 'weird little bugs' that would
always build the obstructive bit of wild comb in the wrong place.

Ken Hoare
Shropshire UK