From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:04:16 -0700
   A week ago Allen Dick (17 Jan) and Lars Hansen of Denmark (18 Jan)
requested input from me about four specific questions.  Since those topics
do not overlap, I will cover them one at a time in separate postings ---
the first with Allen's request, here in part:

"... from a layman's perspective -- [do] you have any thoughts about the
causes, 'purposes', 'functions' and 'meaning' and relationships involved in
the curious bee behaviour that is described as dancing.  Without getting
into the problems with using these words, I wonder if you have any musings
on what the dance is all about.

*********
   Please bear with me for a while --- I am not trying to be evasive on
this issue but must provide some background.  Patrick Wells and I actually
covered this topic quite thoroughly in Excursus TEL in our 1990 book.
ANATOMY OF A CONTROVERSY: THE QUESTION OF A "LANGUAGE" AMONG BEES.
Columbia University Press.  (I can send a copy of this excursus, without
references, as an attachment by e-mail to anyone who requests it and who
can receive such an attachment.)   I will try here to keep my comments in
layman's terms.

   Unfortunately, one MUST get into the "word problem" (Allen's expression)
since that is the root of the issue at hand.  In 1865 the eminent French
physiologist, Claude Bernard, recognized as much when he wrote:

"The nature of our mind leads us to seek the essense or the why of
things....experience soon teaches us that we cannot get beyond the how,
i.e., beyond the immediate cause or necessary conditions of phenomena."

   That is, almost all of us in the Western world spend our lives immersed
in a Judeo-Christian tradition, which holds that God created all for a