From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:52:38 -0600
This message points out the differences geographic location makes.  The
high humidity and frequent rainfall on the east coast is much different
than the semi-arid areas of the west.

And, it affects everything.  Raised lids on populous hives to reduce
condensation in Maryland, rust (I had brand new, Master Padlock's rust
shut in a year in Maryland, I have 20 year old locks in Montana with
virtually no rust), and wax moths at the door of the hive before it even
gets off the truck (even at new apiary locations), ugh!

By comparison, our deserts can get mighty hot in summer and cold in
winter, and the 100" of snow last December in Missoula adds another
complicating factor (forget about top entrances).

Over the last 24 years, we have kept worked with hundred of colonies on
the West Coast (Seattle), eastern Washington, all of Montana, and most of
Idaho, and now are in our third year in Maryland.  Every area brings
different management problems, and it is not simply the timing of nectar
flows or when to put on queen excluders.

Cheers

Jerry Bromenshenk
The University of Montana