From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:27:10 -0700
Diana's observations and readings agree with mine.  I brought up the
point since earlier discussion emphasized Tracheal Mite preference for 1-4
day old bees.  It seems to me that the recommended test to rank colonies
and queens with respect to resistance to T-mite isn't quite as simple as
stated.  Time of year could make a difference.  Also, in northern
climates, colonies go broodless for a period. Therefore, when the mites
can finally move to new hosts, we may get a wave of infestation, followed
by a lag period before then next generation of mites emerges.  Results of
the screening test might vary depending on where you are in that cycle.
At least our model says this will happen.  Who knows?

Jerry
jjbmail@selway,umt.edu