From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 16:29:23 -0500
On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Roy Nettlebeck wrote:

>  Heiio People, I was in my home bee yard today. It was full of sun and
> about 60 F. I found another 9 dead colonys. I noticed  that the
> conditions in the hives were different. All had honey 40 to 60 lbs each.
> Some had split clusters. I went in the house and started to look up what
> I could find in  Honey Bee Pathology  1991  Bailey and Ball. I know by
> now we must have more information on what virus are being carried by the
> mites. I would like to know if there any papers that I could get and
> read. This mite problem is not a lone wolf. Since checking out Bailey and
> Balls book , I found one out of 16 viruses that followed one hive almost
> every step of the way.  I will see if I can get it tied down and send
> some samples over to U of Wa to be checked.

        Since there are no controls for virus we are probably best off
concentrating on controling the mites. The only bee lab in the world that
can test for all virus is in England. The Beltsville lab in Maryland can
test for some and is expanding their capibilities. You may be able to
send samples there.

  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  b                                                              b
  b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
  b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b
  b    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        b
  b    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   b
  b                                                              b
  b    Queens bred for tracheal mite resistance                  b
  b    Honey , Pollination                                       b
  b    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   b