From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:15:14 -0400
I don't have packages here in front of me  hence cannot check my arithmetic,
but figuring out the correct proportions of medication and powdered surgar
is pretty straight forward.

Larry krengel wrote:
> In our area we have been unable to acquire the usual 6.4 gram
> TM packages.

Again no packages in front of me, but my recollection is that the TM in that
particular size was packaged in a 6.4 OUNCE package containing 10 GRAMS of
oxytetracycline.  Read the packaging carefully and be aware of the units of
measure.  From memory, the 6.4 ounce package was mixed with three 1-lb boxes
of confectioners sugar (I used Dominos, disregarding concerns over corn
starch).  Hence, the final dusting material contained 10 grams of oxytet in
3 lbs. of confectioners sugar.

Whatever concentration of Terramycin you are able to get, read the packaging
CAREFULLY to determine the amount of active ingredient (oxytetracycline)
contained in the package.  Measure carefully by weight the amount of
medication required to yield the grams of oxytetracycline required to mix
with the confectioners sugar you will use.

If the arithmetic is too daunting or if your needs are small, buy a pre-mix
from one of the suppliers.  Packaged TM (especially the 6.4 size) is hard to
come by.  I was told by Mann Lake that Pfizer sold the TM-part of their
operation to another company who has yet to gear up to produce the package
known and loved by beekeepers.  However, the bee supply companies can and do
mix large batches to repackage small-sized ready-mix formulas for beekeepers
who need to treat only a few hives.

My personal preference is to dust bees.  I am wary of patties as they are
not always consumed and therefore may deliver an incomplete dose of
antibiotic.  And there is the issue of prolonged exposure to a low dose of
antibiotic fostering antibiotic resistence.

And remember that oxytet is sensitive to light.  Keep your medications in
the dark.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!