Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2019 15:21:53 -0500
> Rather than making claims based on annecdote, bias and  nostalgic memory,  isn't it better to consult the current research.

I don't know if this was directed at me, but if it was, it's a bit heavy handed. The research you cited isn't all that fresh, taking place from 1999-2003. But what strikes me is that they don't mention Eucalypts, which are heavy nectar producers in the bay area. Maybe they forgot to look up.

In any case, anecdotal information is not to be dismissed out of hand, particularly if it is coming from someone with decades of experience and no apparent bias. I know from experience that in coastal San Diego the first pollen collected in January is snow white, from jade plants (Crassula ovata) which bloom at that time and are common in people's yards -- some even have full hedges of these.

see: https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2224

I have never seen Crassula ovata mentioned in lists of nectar and pollen plants, except I found it in a pub from South Africa where it is native and widespread -- Illgner, P. M. (2002). A Phenological and Bioclimatic Analysis of Honey Yield in South Africa (Doctoral dissertation, Rhodes University).

In any case, one can be informed in a multitude of ways; I wouldn't bet that all so-called studies have great validity. As a matter of fact, I often see a native plant bias among aficionados; some even call for the eradication of Eucalypts in California (were that even possible). In my current location, Japanese knotweed (Lonicera japonica) is a major honey source. I doubt you would find that out from studies.

Peter L Borst