From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:45:42 -0400
Hi Bill and Everyone,

>There is a lot more good science out there on things like OA, with
proved success (I note that you use it), so which should I rely on,
especially if I had 3,000 colonies and it was my livelihood? I can try many
different approaches and trials (and have done so) and have no problem
betting the farm, because I do not have a farm to bet.

My initial focus on small cell/alternative methods, which started in 1996,
was from a commercial perspective. In 2000 I left commercial beekeeping and
then had the time and energy to play with a few hive. My experiments with
small cell and top bar hives were part of that. And I didn't have to bet the
farm to do it either.

But it was hard to get the commercial out of this beekeeper. And I still
thought about beekeeping from a commercial perspective. It's actually kind
of funny as I thought hobby beekeeping was a shrunken version of commercial
beekeeping with tiny extractors, etc. You should have seen me rip into my
single beeyard, with a dozen hives, and be done with them in 15 minutes :>)))

Anyway, that's where the oxalic came in, for I knew that small cell
regression wouldn't be economically feasible for a commercial operation
based on my experiences with it. Although the results may be great, the
process is very costly in terms of both bees, production, time and money.
Oxalic provided a great way to treat the bees, keeping them alive and
producing, without contaminating the new small cell comb.

In fact, I think it will provide a way for most beekeepers to instantly get
off the pesticide treadmill. This will seem contraditory to the organic
folks, but there's alot of difference between oxalic and organo phosphates
in our hives/food. And as beekeepers realize the negative effects of their
pesticide contaiminated comb and switch it out, small cell or some other
natural based comb might be a good approach. That might even allow most
beekeepers to eventually toss the oxalic.

As my focus shifted from a commercial to a hobbiest perspective, (yes, there
is a better way than a shrunken commercial approach to keep a few hives and
it has taken me 5 years to discover it) my emphasis on hive data changed as
well. I no longer keep or share detailed hive data beyond my own purposes.
But I do report my observations and conclusions, so that others might find
some value and work out their own tests/solutions. I hope that maybe even
some researchers/students could get an idea or two for a project.

Regards
Dennis