From:
Bill Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:27:23 +0100
Richard Spiekhout wrote:  Most hives are made of pine.  I have a good
quantity of red cedar and woodworking skills.  Cedar keeps moths out of
closets and cedar chests do the same.  Cedar shavings, when used for
bedding, help keep your dogs free of fleas. Cedar also resists rot and
weathers nicely.   I have seen cedar bottom boards advertised so I assume
that it is ok with the bees.  If the wooden ware were constructed of cedar,
would this help repel mites?

Richard,

As a relatively new beekeeper and someone who has recently purchased new
hives, I know that western red cedar is the product of choice in the UK.
It has a number of advantages in that it is more resistant to rot and
insect attack (e.g. woodworm) and if cared for properly (the occasional
application of wood preservative), will last for many, many years.  I know
of brood boxes and supers more than 20 years old which are still in
excellent condition.

However, it has a major drawback in that it is expensive.

Unfortunately, in answer to your query, it does not prevent varroa (or
other mite attack?).  I have 3 colonies in red cedar hives and all have
small numbers of varroa (and some wax moth).   I don't know whether the
infestation would have been more severe if the hives were of other wood
species, but I doubt it.  After all, the bees live quite happily in hives
of this material.

Bill Parker
Hobby Beekeeper, Buckinghamshire, UK