From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 06:01:03 -0700
You don't say if you are starting packages or trying to expand a nuc or an established colony.

You didn't mention if you are using plastic foundation or wax foundation.

IMHO, I like to start all my packages and swarms on wax foundation.  Asking them to draw out plastic hasn't been successful for me.  You need a strong flow and a strong colony to successfully get plastic drawn out.  Once drawn out, you can mix plastic and wax foundation.

If I'm using plastic to expand a colony, I DEFINITELY want to roll on an extra layer of bees wax.

Spraying on sugar syrup on plastic has not worked for me.  It just beads up and rolls off.  Anyone with a better idea on how to make it stick is welcome to chime in.  Putting enough syrup on to make a difference is also a question in my mind.

If the sun comes out, the bees can be trusted to do their part.  You may just need a little patience and some good weather.  Likewise in SE Missouri, we've had a lot of rain.  Bees have been hanging out waiting and getting anxious.  I"ve been hanging out and getting anxious myself.  Your rain is showing up in our flood plains.

Grant
Jackson, MO