Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:06:56 EST
Rich,
You are still TOO CHEAP for good local honey!  In the Washington DC area,
grocery
store prices of Sioux Bee and other well known commercial honeys are $2.75/LB
$3.30/LB.  The honey of a LOCAL beekeeper should always sell for a higher
price than  a grocery store product, because it is LOCAL, disease free,
fresh, and you, the beekeeper, can TALK to a customer about bees and their
importance whereas the
store clerk can only ring the cash register.

I sell 1 LB jars for $3.75, 2 LB jars for $7.00 and 5 LB for $15.  I sell
comb honey for
30¢/ounce plus $1.00, so a 12 ounce section = $4.60 and a 16 ounce section =
$5.80.

Do I have volume?  At our 9 day county fair, I average over $1000/day in
sales, or about $10,000 -$13,000 for the 9 days.

Customers come to my house and pay these prices.

I have been doing this for many, many years.  I have never sold a JAR OF
HONEY; but
I sell the DESIRE of people to buy George's Honey.  This is the same as most
people
will NOT except Pepsi Cola in place of Coca Cola - I won't!  Hence, over the
years, I
have established a whole bunch of faithful customers.

The person who is afraid of grocery store prices is just not sales oriented.

Hope I have helped.

George Imirie
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Ending my 70th year of beekeeping in Maryland and Virginia
Author of George's PINK PAGES