From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:28:06 -0400
Christine Gray wrote:

>Are any  'responsible( respected) studies are known that could convince the
>unmoving minds of some on this list?

Y'know, statements like this certainly fail to ingratiate a poster with
his audience (or target as the case may be)

> When I recently referred to research on
>the value of honey in healing (as circumstantial evidence there is something
>in floral honey that is not in sugar honey) and referred to IBRA's 2001,
>'Honey and Healing' which gives lectures given by five research scientists
>(the first ending with references to 97 journals, mostly medical and the
>second  article ending with 155 references - and so on), Keith Benson just
>came back 'I have yet to see this a standard medical therapy - in fact, it
>is just a fringe thing'.

And your point?    As someone who is engaged in the practice of
veterinary medicine, and who interacts with the human medical community
on a very consistent basis, I can tell you that this is, in fact, not a
standard medical practice.  I can also tell you that there are far more
consistent, controllable, repeatable ways to do the things honey is
touted to do as a topical therapy for wounds.  This practice is not
mainstream in this country, and therefore can be defined, in the context
I used the term, fringe.  No judgment, merely the way it is on this side
of the puddle.    If you read what I wrote you will also see that that
is not all that I said - and that you missed the point as to why it is
fringe.  It has something to do with variability.  Hit the archives,
re-reading it might help.

That you know there are physicians who use the stuff does not make the
use of honey in treating wounds mainstream.  Heck, search long enough
and you can find physicians who do a lot of odd things (most do not, but
there are always two tails on the bell curve).  Colloidal silver,
complex meridian units etc.  Want to see something interesting.  Do a
search on the following "turtle + cancer"  Use a legitimate search
engine (not an internet one) and you will be amazed at the number of
papers supporting the notion that drinking turtle blood or ground turtle
shell will cure all kinds of things.  Even studies where folks were
trying to find out what it was about turtle bits that provided this
miraculous properties.  They should not have been looking at the turtle
bits - but the researchers imagination.

>Karen was of course thinking of honey consumers, who pay out for honey,
>rather than honey producers who get money in when someone a  purchases a
>jar, but are harder to get to consider the evidence. What studies could
>Karen use with open minded consumers?

Be careful not to confuse gullible with open minded.

Keith