From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:11:44 -0400
Tom Barrett writes:  “I fail to see how not putting harmful chemicals into
the environment can be profit based.”

     I was thinking first of all of the potential for financial gain through
legal action against chemical companies for real or perceived harm due to
use of their products.  This could be corrupted by impure motives as is
often the case in our legal system.  I can’t say that it has in this
particular case of imidacloprid and Bayer.
     Then there is the whole issue of marketing on the basis of creating the
impression that products which are “green” or “natural” or “sustainable” are
superior to products that are not able or willing to make those claims.  In
some cases these claims may be a bit of a stretch.  But I am not the one to
make the case against the environmental movement on this or any other basis.
 I only mentioned the profit motive in a feeble attempt to be fair.

Steve Noble