From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:47:56 +1000
>Charlie, if possible, could you check the pumpkin patch to see whether SHB are using the pumpkins as an alternate host?  They do so with some other cucurbits.  In Hawaii, beetles breed in fallen fruit, and then fly to hives, which are more attractive.

First up took the liberty to change the subject name.

Randy, I would suggest that these cases of SHB breeding in fruit need to be confirmed by laboratory identification.  We have had many reports of SHB breeding in fruit in Australia but when the beetles were identified it turned out to be closely related beetles.  There is only one case I know of here in Australia of SHB in fruit (laboratory identified) and that was in apples in a compost bin.  I know that Mike Hood used to suggest using apple cider vinegar as an attractant.

Would be pleased to hear of any laboratory identification finds.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 10399 (20140911) __________

http://www.eset.com