From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 14:02:02 AST
     Ted Fischer writes

     "The natural comb will not necessarily fit well into frames.  I have
     tried to prepare frames by nailing a wire mesh (1/2 inch openings or
     the like) on one side and having another sheet ready to nail on the
     other side after having placed the comb. If the comb is irregular, it
     may still not fit well unless you pare down the "fat" places."

     =  =  =  =  =  =  =

     I just staple three or four strings along one side of the frame, lay
     in the pieces of comb, and add string along the other side.  This is
     still messy, but fairly fast.  It has the advantage that the bees will
     remove the string in a few days anyway.  I use nine frames so I have
     fat places in my combs anyway.

     Also, rather than worry about cleaning up everything, I just let the
     bees do it.  If their queen is in a box nearby they won't stay any
     longer than it takes to clean up loose honey.  At least this is my
     experience.

     Tom Elliott
     Eagle River, Alaska