From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2017 16:51:16 -0500
Back to DWV, I don't know if anyone picked up on this in an earlier post. The paper is out now.

> Typically, however, infections take on a more “covert” form, resulting in no visible morphological symptoms, especially when infection occurs in the adult stage or when mites carry only low virus titers. Nevertheless, the fact that colonies with covert infections can suffer from weakness, depopulation and sudden collapse and that the presence of the virus has been linked with both winter mortality and colony collapse suggests that DWV exerts a significant amount of long-term stress.

Continuing

> Results demonstrate that covert DWV infections have strongly deleterious effects on honeybee foraging and survival. These results are consistent with previous studies that suggested DWV to be an important contributor to the ongoing bee declines in Europe and the USA.

> The strong evidence we found for a DWV-induced effect on mortality patterns and long-term survival was more unexpected. Traditionally, secondary DWV infections in adult workers are regarded as ‘covert’ and largely asymptomatic [29,67,68], but this proposition is clearly challenged by our findings, which document very clear and significant long- term effects of the virus.

> DWV-induced mortality could have several causes. Given that DWV have been shown to occur in the honeybee brain, including in the mushroom bodies [31,62,72], which are involved in learning and memory, and that DWV infections have been shown to induce learning deficits [30], it is possible that increased mortality is caused by impaired orientation capabilities or predator avoidance or that it makes them more susceptible to other environmental stressors.

Benaets, Kristof, et al. "Covert deformed wing virus infections have long-term deleterious effects on honeybee foraging and survival." Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Biological Sciences (2017).

Related articles

Parasitized honey bees are less likely to forage and carry less pollen
L Lach, M Kratz, B Baer - Journal of invertebrate pathology, 2015 - Elsevier

Parasites modulate within-colony activity and accelerate the temporal polyethism schedule of a social insect, the honey bee
ME Natsopoulou, DP McMahon, RJ Paxton - Behavioral ecology and …, 2016 - Springer

Diversity in a honey bee pathogen: first report of a third master variant of the Deformed Wing Virus quasispecies
GJ Mordecai, L Wilfert, SJ Martin, IM Jones… - The ISME …, 2016 - nature.com

Elevated virulence of an emerging viral genotype as a driver of honeybee loss
DP McMahon, ME Natsopoulou… - … . R. Soc. B, 2016 - rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org

Track-a-Forager: a program for the automated analysis of RFID tracking data to reconstruct foraging behaviour
A Van Geystelen, K Benaets, DC de Graaf… - Insectes Sociaux, 2016 - Springer
Abstract Behavioural studies make increasingly use of the passive radio-frequency

Optimal search patterns in honeybee orientation flights are robust against emerging infectious diseases
S Wolf, E Nicholls, AM Reynolds, P Wells, KS Lim… - Scientific …, 2016 - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Flight performance of actively foraging honey bees is reduced by a common pathogen
T Wells, S Wolf, E Nicholls, H Groll… - Environmental …, 2016 - Wiley Online Library