From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:43:14 -0500
Someone asked how to kill bees.  An interesting chemestry experiment was put
forth as a possible solution, mixing ammonia and bleach, gives off chlorine
gas, kills bees real quickly - Dave Green warns about killing beekeepers!
Good advice!  Then Adrian asks if chlorine gas kills AFB spores and Nick
replies that sodium hypochlorite WILL kill AFB spores.

Lots of advice and information, reader beware!  Heed Dave's warnings.
Regarding Adrian's question, he asked if chlorine gas kills AFB spores and
Nick answers sodium hyporchlorite will.  I ask semi tounge in cheek, is it
the sodium, the hypo or the chlorite that kills the AFB spores?

It's good to know that bleach can be useful for treating some equipment in
some situations, it's not rocket science that chlorine gas will kill most
carbon based life forms, and I don't think Adrian's question has been
answered.

And I wonder if we should be flirting with chlorine gas as an agent to mix
with beekeeping when there are alternatives.  I'm sure regulatory agencies
would insist that beekeepers avoid chlorine bleach until there is a gel
formulation!

Anyway, beekeeper beware!  Gas away if you want to, but do so at your own
risk and with care.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Joyous Festivus, Solstice
and/or holiday of your choice (funny reading in the archives) and may we all
have a safe beginning of the new millennium.

Speaking of the new millennium, the U of A will be shutting down all
computing platforms on New Year's eve, starting at noon EST, and will power
up on New Year's day.  BEE-L will not be available during that time.  It's
not the foretold end of the world, we'll be back, promise.

Aaron Morris - thinking peace on earth, good will towards everyone.