From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:07:14 -0400
On 18 Jul 99, at 7:26, eparker wrote:
> I'm wondering, if the number of drones in the"area" has any effect on the
> number of drones produced in individual hives. David Eyre said he
> establishes hives that produces large numbers of drones. Would that have
> any effect on the number of drones produced in the "normal" hives of that
> apiary? If less drones were produced in the "normal" hives could this have
> any effect on mite populations in those hives, or would they simply move
> to worker larva? Just a thought.

Interesting thought, but I think not. Each hive is individual, as far
as drone production is concerned. We find that drone production is
directly related to the age of the queen involved.
        A young queen in her first year will produce very few drones, even
if there are lots of drone cells. As to whether the queen lays in
them and the bees remove the eggs is unclear, but an older queen will
lay up whole frames of drone foundation. We rely on this fact for
selecting our drone mothers.
        It's been stated frequently on this list that no drones just means
the varroa move into worker cells. They [Varroa] much prefer drone
cells as they will reproduce and produce more young varroa in drone
cells than worker cells.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>