From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 21:33:37 -0400
Hello!

Someone was asking about a grease patty recipe earlier.  I deleted your
letter before saving your name, sorry.  I use liquid vegetable shortening
(easier, makes a creamier patty that won't harden up on a weak colony in cold
weather) at a rate of 2lbs sugar/1lb oil (or crisco).  If you want to add the
TM, just adjust the rate of TM to the size of patty by weight you want to use
and mix it with the sugar prior to blending with the oil.  Here in CA, for
myself a 1/2 lb patty will last about 6 weeks in the spring on a good colony.
 I scoop with a standard ice cream scoop and put it in a waxed french fry
bag.  The bag makes it possible to make up large quantities and put them in
quickly while I'm checking frame counts in the winter for almond pollination.
 It no fun dragging around a bucket of goo all day. A scoop is around a 1/4
lb (better weigh yours if using TM).  I use anywhere from a 1/4 to 1 lb patty
depending on time of year and honey flow periods.  Hope that helps, also this
is one of the 500 ways to do this procedure and I'm sure they all work fine.
 I also keep a patty of some type in the hive constantly.

Brian Tassey