From:
Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:26:08 -0400
Two things about plastic foundation:

1) I do not consider Duragilt to be true plastic foundation like Pierco and
Permadent.  If you scrape off the wax coating/combs from Duragilt, you are
left with an unusable plastic sheet.  With the other two, the cell outlines
are part of the molding, so you can scrape off old combs and the foundation
ir ready for reuse.  Also the true plastic foundations are quite a bit
stronger, and hence no "blowouts" during extracting.

2)  When I tried Pierco's recommended method for drawing comb (interspaced
drawn comb and foundation), the bees simply extended the drawn comb to
enormous thicknesses, and did very little on the foundation.   The result was
a jigsaw puzzle to disassemble, and few usably drawn new frames.
 Accordingly, I now use all-foundation supers for drawing comb, that way the
bees draw comb properly.

BTW, Pierco is right on in recommending that foundation drawing only be
attempted during a strong nectar flow.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD