From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 07:50:35 -0500
Hello All,
I can give only a general report from Missouri as we have only pulled comb
honey supers so far.   I plan to start with extracted honey supers in a week
if *heat wave* ends.  We have got heat indecies of 115 F. the next few days.
I have checked all yards in last few days and honey crop looks above average
but hard to tell how much is unrippened nectar.
I want to be a optimist but *Old Farmers Almanac* predicts the hotist summer
in years for our area.    Right now the sweet clover is still in bloom from
all the subsoil moisture.   Seven to ten days of 100 F. temperature will
burn the sweet clover up and the bees will be short on plants to work until
the fall flowers start.   Let's hope the temperature will relax and we will
get a decent rain next week to prolong the flow.
For whatever reason many midwestern beekeepers saw high overwinter losses.
Many did not put all the deadouts back into production.   Others split thin
to make up losses.   Those which split thin were helped by our main flow
starting later than normal.   Each year is different in Missouri.   Many
beekeepers *TRY* to predict when the main flow will start but at best the
prediction is simply a guess.   My best guess was off by a week this year.
Best of luck with your honey crops!   Although most of us don't keep bees
only for the honey crop  the honey crop helps with the bottom line.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri