From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:17:30 -0400

<< once we have found the extent of the hive in the tree, we plan to slice
the
 trunk on each side of the entrance with the chainsaw and split the hive.
 Since comb is almost always built perpendicular to the entrance this, I
 believe, would keep most of the comb whole yet give us access to the hive.
 After this I believe the bees will start fanning where the queen is and
 should give us a clue as to where to start searching for her.  Next I will
 capture her and some bees in a cup and put them in a hive I have ready for
 this purpose.  Then I want to put the hive with about five frames of comb
 and foundation between the two halves of the hive to attract as many
 workers as possible into the hive.  (snip further description >>

   Whew!

    You must enjoy doing a lot of work.  I suggest an easier way (with much
less stress on the bees).

    Take the section containing the bees back to your beeyard.  Lay it on its
side.  The queen is reluctant to lay in comb that is not correctly oriented.

    If necessary take the chain saw, and using it as a power rasp, try to
smooth off the area around the entrance, so that a 16 x 20 inch plywood piece
can be placed on the flattened area.  There should be a hole in the plywood
that corresponds with the opening in the tree.

   Place a deep super over this, with brood comb in it.  Use a bottom board
upside down to give them an exit, or use an old super with a hole somewhere.
 The bees will be forced to go through it to exit, and the queen will soon
move up into the box.  As soon as she is established, put an excluder below
the box.  After a few days the brood from below will all be emerged and you
can set aside the new hive.  Let them rob out the tree, and you have them,
queen and all.

    Getting the queen could be important, if you have found a varroa
resistant strain in the wild.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html