From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 11:17:32 -0500
Hello Blane & All,
Blane wrote:
 Now the Bayer publication:  After reading it I can't agree with Mark
Winston's column in Bee Culture because I just don't see the data in the
Bayer report to back up their conclusions.
Sadly I didn't either Blane but didn't want to be the first to speak out.
Now that you have stepped forward I will say I agree completely. I will say
I would have accepted the Bayer report better not knowing about the issue
and now ban on imidacloprid in France.
Blane wrote:
 it is going to be much more widely used at least here in the  US starting
this year.
I am afraid the beekeeping world in the U.S. is asleep on the imidacloprid
issue. Was the danger of possible large scale bee kills and the troubles in
France discussed at the ABF of AHPA conventions? I am still running into
beekeepers which have never heard of the problem in France or imidacloprid.
In the first post I responded to about imidacloprid I said I would move away
from areas of imidicloprid use. Nothing has happened to change my mind. I
have  marked certain yards for relocation at the first sign of a problem.
The *alleged* imidacloprid kill is slow I have been told. Many on Bee-L
didn't agree with my relocation plan when first presented but offered no
alternative plan.
Trying to collect damages from chemical companies and trying to pollinate &
produce honey with bees half dead from pesticides will not work. Been there
done that.
Bob
Thinking bees will die or dwindle (pesticides) within flying distance of a
commercial apple orchard year around but will do fine three miles down the
road.